Sunday, November 4, 2007

Swiss Cheese & Mushroom Quiche


When I was a vegetarian, one of the best cookbooks I found was the Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. I'm not a strict vegetarian anymore, more a flexitarian, but I still love this cookbook.

Quiche is such a great dinner. I was going to make it yesterday, but instead made it today, and we had leftovers last night. This is a great quiche recipe, or "egg pie" as we call it in our house (makes it more palatable to kids I think.)

I was so hungry that I didn't take a picture of the whole thing, but started dinner and ate 2 slices before remembering to take pictures. Great flavor, delicate texture, good pie.


Swiss Cheese & Mushroom Quiche

1 10-inch pie crust (I use Martha Stewart's pate brisee for all my pie crusts.), pressed into a pie pan or tart pan
1 tsp butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/4 lb mushrooms, sliced or minced
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper
pinch of thyme
1/2 tsp dry mustard
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbs. flour
1 1/2 cups (packed) grated swiss cheese
paprika

(variations: try other cheese, use fresh tomato slices or fresh herbs in place of mushrooms or in addition to them.)


Preheat oven to 375.

Melt butter in small pan, Add onions, saute over medium heat, when they have started to soften, add mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard. Saute about 5 minutes more and remove from heat.

Combine eggs, milk, flour in blender or food processor, beat well.

Spread grated cheese over bottom of crust, spread onion, mushroom mixture on top. pour in custard and sprinkle top with paprika.

Bake 35-45 minutes, until solid in center. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

(Makes awesome lunch leftovers too!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin