Monday, September 20, 2010

Apple Butter

Making apple butter today. Combined my old favorite recipe with another and really enjoyed the results. May have to do with the fact I used gala apples instead of granny smith. Not sure. I'm writing down what I did because we want to remember it!


8 cups apple mixture
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 cup basalmic vinegar

Peel and core and chop up apples, approximately 6 pounds. (Yankee apple peeler/corer/cutter!) Simmer with 2 cups of water until soft. (Don't burn!) Put thru largest holes of a food mill, measure 8 cups. (Don't puree!)

Mix apples with sugars and spices. Simmer, stirring often until rounds up on a spoon. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Makes about 4 pints.

No pictures because my camera battery is dead and I can't find the rechargeable one. Tomorrow I hope to try cranapple butter. Yum.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin